This is the home of Schulenberg's AS10 class. It is at this site where you may find homework assignments from class, inquiry requests, and supporting documents for class material.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017

May 9th

1. Read and take notes on Shakespearean Comedy found under "Shakespeare Links"
2. Remember QUIZ over Induction-Act 2 MAY 10th/11th
3. In your notes evaluate and annotate the following quotes from Act 1.
Things to look for and note:

  • The speaker and to whom is he/she speaking to? Is this important? 
  • What is the context of this quotation? 
  • Are there noteworthy diction choices? 
  • What do we learn about this character? 
  • What do we learn about the plot? 
  • What is the underlying meaning of this quote. What is implied? 
  • What is the tone? 
  • How would you summarize this dialogue? 

1. “…Pisa, renowned for grave citizens,/ Gave me my being and my father first,/ A merchant of great traffic through the world,/ Vincentio, come of the Bentivolii/, Vincentio’s son, brought up in Florence,/ It shall become to serve all hopes conceived / To deck his fortune with his virtuous deeds./ And therefore, Tranio, for the time I study/ Virtue and that part of philosophy/ Will I apply that treats of happiness/ By virtue specially to be achieved./ Tell me thy mind, for I have Pisa left/ And am to Padua come, as he that leaves/ A shallow plash to plunge him in the deep/ And with satiety seeks to quench his thirst.” (1.1.24)

2. "Why came I hither but to that intent? / Think you a little din can daunt mine ears? / Have I not heard the sea, puffed up with winds, / Rage like an angry boar chafed with sweat? / have I not heard great ordnance in the field, / And Heaven's artillery thunder in the skies? / Have I not pitched battle heard / Loud 'larums, neighing steeds, and trumpets' clang? / And do you tell me of a woman's tongue / That gives not half so great a blow to hear / As will a chestnut in a farmer's fire? / Tush, tush! Fear boys with bugs." (1.2.194)


3. "For how I firmly am resolved you know:
That is, not to bestow my youngest daughter
Before I have a husband for the elder.
If either of you both love Katherine
Because I know you well and love you well,
Leave shall you have to court her at your pleasure."  (1.1.48-54)

4. "I pray you, sir, is it your will
To make a stale of me amongst these mates?" (1.1.353) 

No comments:

Post a Comment